No not the kind of backing up you do in your car but the kind that helps keep your important files safe. There are two popular ways of backing up your data. You’ve got in-house and online. In-house backups are traditionally done by buying backup software and the data is to a device that you own. For an In-house Backup set-up we recommend the following guidelines:
- Keep the backup software up to date
- Backup to multiple devices Regularly do a restore to check if your backups are working correctly.
- Take the backup off-site Make sure the backup is encrypted.
- Make sure the person who takes your backups off-site can be trusted.
- If you have an Email server make sure you can backup and restore individual mailboxes.
- If you have a basic email set-up in outlook from a hosted supplier ensure you can backup and restore all outlook data.
Online backups are becoming very popular. This is where your backups are done over the internet to a secure data centre.
For an Online Backup set-up we recommend the following guidelines:
- Know where you are backs are being held – different countries have different data protection and privacy laws.
- Make sure all data is SSL Encrypted when being backed up.
- In case of a total loss how long would it take to recover your data.
- As previously mentioned do a regular restore test.
- What methods are available for the initial backup upload.
- If it’s a large amount of data can they send a hard drive? What insurance or compensation do you get if your data is lost?
The top 4 mistakes commonly made when doing backups are:
- Not actually doing the backup!
- Not backing up to multiple device
- Not taking the backups off site
- Never attempted a restore
If you follow these tips to backing up your data you will be heading one step further to avoiding a disaster.
All of our backups are sent to a secure nuclear bunker within the U.K. so that we can guarantee that your data will be safe and will follow the laws you already know.
For any more information on backups or if you would like to arrange an evaluation of your current setup call us on 0161-820-8980 Mon – Fri 9:00 – 17:30 or visit our Data Backup page.